Thursday, January 12, 2012

Joe Hub Baker

Joe Hub Baker is my freind. Joe has many nicknames, they vary from country to country. Here in Fort Worth he has two (that I know of), "Cowboy" & "Uncle Joe".

Cowboy Joe


Uncle Joe

Joe is my kind of Cowboy....the kind that rides choppers. Here is his first. This Honda was a project that had been handed down many times. He didn't know shit about building anything, but with the help of friends he mangaged to get this bike "road worthy".  The Weatherford police didn't think it was worthy, however the "Tetanus Shot" did make a New Year's day 2010 trip from Austin to Fort Worth. Not a very good picture of the bike but...


Joe quickly realized that the rusty Honda was not the bike of his dreams. Unfortunatley the bike of his dreams is an original '36 Knuckle. He was forced to settle for the carcus of my first "bobber build". A beautiful 1990 1200 Sportster in a FlyRite frame...


Here she is in her former glory...



Sometime during the late winter or early spring of 2011, Joe and I struck a deal. The deal was that he would buy the bobber carcus and I would help him build it back to suit his taste. At some point in the weeks that followed my brain became infected with the idea of building "legal" motorcycles. Legal meaning, matching motor and frame numbers. For all you guys riding genorator motors this means nothing. For the rest of us it means alot.

For the rest of us it means the title must match the frame numbers, motor be damned. It seems to me that once you put a late model motor in an aftermarket frame you have lost all value.

So after Joe and I had shook hands and made a deal, I wanted to re-negotiate. I wanted to hardtail the stock frame. Obviously this would keep the bike 100% Harley Davidson. Easy to title, easy to insure.  He agreed and work began. First I prepared the stock frame for a hardtail section...







Planning is the key to sucess...







More to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment